10 November 2010

Salmon and Pesto Spaghetti Squash

Paleo Spaghetti Squash Noodles
-Take 1 Spaghetti Squash - I used one that was almost 3 lbs & I think I have "noodles" for a week. Lol. This reminded me of a cylinder yellow pumpkin.
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees (or whatever that translates to at your altitude).
-Cut the Spaghetti Squash in half length wise. This is the hardest part of the recipe!
-Scoop out seeds.
-Place both halves of Spaghetti Squash face down on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
-Bake for about 30-35 minutes
-Take out & let cool & then take a fork & scrape the insides out & you get 'noodles'
-Or, if you are too impatient to let cool first, hold with a paper towel or something, as the squash w/be hot & then scrape out the insides. :)

Add any Paleo sauce you'd like. This is what I did (recipe below), but use whatever you'd like. Next time, I think I will puree homemade spaghetti sauce w/meat balls. :)

I got this recipe from 24 hour fitness years ago & love it! However, it's not online anymore :( So I'm telling you from memory. I don't measure, I just guess & then adjust to taste. You can do the same. Use as a spread or pasta sauce.

Spinach Pesto Sauce
2 cups fresh spinach leaves
3 garlic cloves (I use like 5-6 because I love garlic)
1-2 tbsp of olive oil (I use less)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (I substituted almond mill here to make it Paleo & it came out just fine)
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves (I use about 1/2 cup because I really like basil too)
2 tbsp parsley leaves (I use fresh flat leave parsley leaves & just add as much as I want)
Pinch of Sea Salt (optional)
Water
*Put all in a blender/food processor & puree. Add in small amounts of water until you have the consistency you want. Use as a spread or put on warm paleo 'pasta'.

In the picture I sautéed some red onions & button mushrooms & then added in grape tomato halves at the end & mixed the pesto sauce, sauteed veggies & "pasta" all together & added some pine nuts on top.

For the Salmon Filet
I just used wild caught Soho salmon. Rubbed some olive oil on it, added a pinch of sea salt & fresh ground pepper, sprinkled with some garlic powder & onion powder & paprika & baked at 350 for about 25 minutes with sliced lemon on top for flavor. I am in Seattle, so ya'll will likely have to adjust baking temp/time for high altitude.

Fun Fact: Try to make sure your diet is 51% raw foods or more a day. Any less & your body starts to view the food we are putting in it for nourishment, as a foreign object & attacking it causing all sorts of bad things from fatigue to inflammation. Even if we lightly steam our food, we loose about 15% of it's nutrients. Ever hear, 'our garage dispenser eats better than us'? In most American households, this is, unfortunately, a true fact. So while this meal obviously isn't part of your 51% raw food intake, try to make sure the rest of your daily intake is. :)

Happy eating! :)

Love, Melynda

No comments: