Saying yes to spending the rest of my days cooking, exploring, laughing, and crying with the love of my life could not have happened in a more majestic place. The Alpe di Siusi, the biggest alpe is located in the Italian Dolomites and is where the surprise of my life took place. It was all a dream...
Fast forward two months and I am still giddy retelling the story to all my loved ones, even strangers, because heck, I want everyone to know how happy and lucky in love I am. Experiencing a life changing moment in the Dolomiti heightened my senses to the traditions, vitality and way of life the Tyrol region offers. Not only did I take indulgence to another level, I was never without a post siesta Gelato daily. Pistachio is my finace's one and only, but mine changed almost every time. It was all a dream...
Home again, thousands of miles from the best Gelato in the world, I am in my kitchen manifesting the indulgences of my travels into the deliciously simple fare I love. Tonight's memorable remake of an Italian classic: pizza with a cauliflower crust and to top it off, a sprinkling of a young manchego sheep's milk cheese.
I was not sure I wanted to share this recipe because I am so obsessed with it now, but I realize recipes like this are exactly why I love cooking and sharing my kitchen creations After you eat this hot pie you will probably think it's all a dream too...
MAKES ONE SMALL PIZZA (double for 2)
1 head cauliflower, de-stemmed
1/4 C Shredded Manchego cheese
1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
1/2 clove garlic
2 TBSP yellow onion
handful fresh basil
pizza stone (if you are so lucky) or cookie sheet (heavy duty if possible)
TOPPINGS: (use your favorites, mine are below)
1/3 Cup pasta sauce
roasted red peppers, diced
hot italian sausage, cooked
1/2 cup manchego/parmesan cheese, shredded
1. in the food processor, pulse the cauliflower florets until they are couscous consistency
2. Place in pan and heat on low for 5-10 minutes, to toast a bit
3. Transfer cauliflower to a clean town and let cool
4. wrap in towel and squeeze the water out until you can't get anymore out.
5. Put in bowl
6. In the same food processor, mix onion, garlic and basil until uber chopped
7. Add to Cauliflower, throw an egg in and mix with hands. Should be slightly sticky
8. Take "dough" and place on an oiled piece of parchment paper
9. Flatten into a disc apx 1 inch thick
10. Bake on cookie sheet or pizza stone at 350 for 10-15 min until crust is golden
11. Remove and add sauce, toppings and cheese (leave arugula until ready to eat)
12. EAT & OBSESS!