28 January 2010

Paleo Chili

This one is also from Melynda!


Note: I took 2 paleo chilli recipes & combined them. Also, this seems to me more like meat soup, but this is coming from a person who usually has 3 bean & veggie chilli w/cheese & crackers. HA!

2 lbs lean ground beef or ground buffalo meat
1 cup chopped onion
1 bell pepper chopped
3 cloves garlic (I used more, I love garlic)
2 tbsp olive oil (I didn't really do this part, other recipe call for 2 tbsp fat, ick!)
2 cups canned chopped tomatoes juice in (I used Organic Muir Glen, no salt added, but after making it, I think you could use real tomatoes just boil them a little & use natural tomato juice)
Fresh ground pepper to taste (love pepper)
4 tbsp chilli powder (or if you like me, more chilli powder)
1 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp ground cumin (again, I added more)
1 tsp salt (<---see nicole!!! :) I used ground sea salt)
1 cup water (I used less, I like my chilli thick)

Cook ground meat w/chopped onions, bell pepper, garlic & oil (if you used) in big pot or dutch oven. Then add tomatoes, chilli powder, oregano, cumin & salt. Add water, then simmer the mixture for at least 2 hours until the meat is very tender & the tomatoes pretty much cook into the sauce. 4 hours is not too much, but check to make sure it does not dry out, add water if it does.

No comments: