19 January 2010

EXPERIMENTS IN THE KITCH...


 You know when it's time to take a trip to Mo Town when you keep opening your fridge hoping that somehow it has done some magic that turns empty shelves into a Whole Foods Market. Well, we do not have enough saved up for one of those yet, so we made the trip to Montrose to get the goods. 


This got my creative side in the kitchen going and so, I decided to make some cookies. Trying to stick to Paleo-like guidelines, with the exception of oats (debatably gluten-free), I managed to make a cookie that I thought would turn out well. The dough had the consistency of regular cookies, they formed wheat-like balls on the cookie sheet and I assumed that when I opened the oven 10-12 minutes later, they would taste just like the ones back in the day. This would not be the case. Although the taste was decent and edible, if you were not standing over the sink or a hungry dog, at least half of the cookie was lost. 

Moral of the story, get in your kitchen with some ingredients you have never thought existed, let alone, would stock in your kitchen. I know dessert is hard and coming from a past-pastry chef in training, this is one food group I don't want to let go, just modify a bit.




My new ingredient: Coconut flour: because it is high in protein, fiber, flavorful, totally paleo and yet, has a thickening quality. The more I learn about it, the more I know how to use it in my cooking. 


Well, at least ice climbing was a success today!





More to come on experiments in the kitch...

2 comments:

David Reamer said...

Coconut flour, awesome! THanks for the insider info. I bet it makes a great cookie. -David

Telluride CrossFit said...

Just purchased some...we will see how they turn out!