20 January 2011

SWEET POTATO & APPLE CAKES



So, I have been feeling uninspired in the kitchen lately. Mainly because I work in a kitchen and because I just gashed my hand, received 5 stitches, a tetanus shot that made me super sick again, and on and on and I am totally being a whiny baby.

Tonight, I redeemed myself. We made purple and red potato cakes for a client the other night. They had flour and butter etc, in them, so tonight I gave it the Paleo edge they needed. These are a great post workout meal and if you have extras, you can save them for breaky with a couple of local over easy eggs on top. DELISH!

SWEET POTATO and APPLE CAKES
serves 2 with leftovers
1 sweet potato (shredded. I used the cuisinart, but a box shredder works too)
1/2 large apple shredded
1 egg
1/4-1/3  cup almond flour
salt and pepper to taste
any other seasoning you like (I used rosemary and crushed red pepper)

1.Place beaten egg in bowl of shredded potato and apple
2. add flour
3. mix together add spices
4. turn skillet on high with a good drizzle of olive oil or even coconut oil
5. take a handful of mix and press it into your hands.
6. place in skillet and flatten like a pancake with spatula.
*make sure they stick somewhat, but not completely. The oil in the pan will help them stay together.
7. repeat until the skillet cannot fit anymore.
8. cook about 5 min per side.
9. once both sides are cooked, put on a sheet tray in over to warm(oven at 200 is ok.)
EAT!

I served these with roasted chicken. IT was delicious. 

Enjoy.


No comments: