Tonight we (yes, Thurky helped) cooked up some scallops! Not only are they easy to overcook, but they are a rarity in our house. So I had to get creative.
First things first.... this is what you will need to do to shell some pistachios: watch this and GET CRACKIN!
Feeds 2 (3 if you want less delicious pistachio crustedness)
1 Cup Pistachios shelled
1tsp Old Bay (I used Penzy's Chesapeake Bay seasoning)
1/2 clove Garlic
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (or another oil rthat has a high smoke point)
1. Place all ingredients in the food processor(fp) (you already I love my FP) and pulse until evenly chopped fine, but not powdery fine.
2. Transfer crust to a small bowl
3. Take scallops and coat each with a thin layer of Dijon so the crust will stick
4. Roll each scallop in the crust mix and press firmly so that it really sticks (I did not do this well enough and the crust came off a bit in the skillet)
5. Heat a medium sized skillet on high and melt 1-2 Tbsp Coconut oil.
6. Make sure the pan is hot and add the scallops
7. Sear 3-4 minutes on each side (may be less depending on your scallop size. Mine were LARGE)
8. Flip and sear the other side
9.Once scallops are golden brown on each side & look opaque, remove from pan and serve with:
-Garlic Cauli Mash( recipe to follow),steamed asparagus, mixed greens.
As Julia Child would say, BON APPETIT!